Saturday, April 20, 2013

my journey to a beautiful smile :D

Well well, looks like 2 years has flown by...in a blink of an eye..but not without much ups and downs & lessons to learn, new things to discover.

What got me into the mood of posting after 2 long years is the fact that I've ventured into something new recently, and would like to keep a memento here for myself to read in my later years. Or it could be more a reason for me to keep track on my progress with this 'new venture'.

Sounds like a path to a new career...but it's not. Anyway, to cut the suspense, I've signed up for INVISALIGN - a new revolution to straighter teeth & confident smile without having to show a set of metal braces for the 1 and a 1/2 years duration (duration could be shorten with even further groundbreaking technology in the orthodontic field (I'll share more on the latter in a while...good news for ME!)

I've always wanted a set of straighter & whiter teeth that I didn't have. To top it off, I've never really liked my side profile due to the protruding two front tooth. So when I finally had the courage (and the $) to jump on the ship, i did just that! So here's an update on the progress of my journey towards straighter teeth & confident smile.

Today, I'm almost 2 weeks into my 1st set of aligners (without attachments). It is not as bad as I thought it'd be. I did not dread putting on the aligners (maybe cuz it's a new fresh toy...which I hope not. I vow to stay determined & committed for the money I paid) although I admit it's sometimes a hassle as I need to remove the trays for meals, brush / wash my mouth before putting them back after each meals. My friends teased me when I speak with a lisp (usually the case when I talked too fast)

After the 1st week, I feel my lower front teeth became weaker, it gets difficult & irritable when I try to bite food off with my front teeth - the feeling you get when you're about to lose a loose tooth in your younger days. That's scary - to think of loosing a tooth at this age. Sidetracking, I use to have nightmares of swallowing my tooth in my sleep. That is NOT going to happen!

So, back to the groundbreaking technology that I was talking about; it's a clever design of a new tool to help accelerate the teeth movement during the straightening process - so instead of wearing each aligners/ trays for 2 weeks, the duration can be cut down to a week or less. How interesting right? I have approximately 32-34 aligners for the entire journey to straighter teeth, which should take a year and a half by normal duration. With Acceledent (name of THE super-tool), I can literally achieve the results in HALF the time!

But of course, it doesn't come without a cost.

I have paid close to SGD$9000 for consultation plus signing up for the INVISALIGN package. Now renting the Acceledent will cost me another $1000 (for deposit) & $800 (for rental) throughout the duration of my INVISALIGN.

But I guess it's going to be worth the money, for the time I save...and for the result I'll bear, doncha think?

No comments: